Divine Settlement Against Evil
Psalm 58:10-11 The righteous shall rejoice when he sees the vengeance; He shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked, 11 So that men will say, “Surely there is a reward for the righteous; Surely He is God who judges in the earth.”
Romans 2:16 in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.
- There are lot of evil are slipping by without any recourse or visible judgement
- Drug abuse, abortion, lying, embezzlement, corruption, poverty, idolatry, spiritual attack, diabolical practices etc
- Can we even start to imagine the wrongs that have been committed since Adam?
- Think of the individuals who have committed crimes and yet they were never discovered.
- They lived and died with blood on their hands.
- There were no witnesses . . . . except . . . . for God.
- His eyes roam the Earth. His ears are always listening.
- His angels are always recording . . . . every act on Earth, good or bad.
- God will solve all crimes.
- God will judge all evil.
- There will be a day of court when God will settle all issues.
The World That We Live In
- Is Cursed
- Genesis 3:17 Then to Adam He said, “Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat of it’: “Cursed is the ground for your sake; In toil you shall eat of it All the days of your life.
- The fruit of our first parents’ rebellion was death, murder, lies, abuse, thief, profanity, etc
- Job 14:1 “Man who is born of woman Is of few days and full of [a]trouble.
- Is Temporary
- II Corinthians 4:18 while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
- Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.
- 2 Peter 3:7 But the heavens and the earth which are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and [a]perdition of ungodly men.
- Is Cruel
- Psalm 71:4 Deliver me, O my God, out of the hand of the wicked, Out of the hand of the unrighteous and cruel man.
- I Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to [a]bear it.
- You can “bear it” knowing that “there is a reward for the righteous: verily he is a God that judges in the earth” who will settle all issues.
What Is The Christian’s Proper Response To This World’s Cruelty
- David’s Response
- Psalm 58:6 Break[a] their teeth in their mouth, O God! Break out the fangs of the young lions, O Lord!
- Psalm 58:6 Break their teeth, O God, in their mouth: break out the great teeth of the young lions, O Lord. (KJV)
- this was a time when Saul sought to kill David
- Psalm 57 clearly deals with this time of David being hunted.
- Psalm 7:11 God is a just judge, And God is angry with the wicked every day.
- The Response of Moses
- Numbers 10:35 So it was, whenever the ark set out, that Moses said: “Rise up, O Lord! Let Your enemies be scattered, And let those who hate You flee before You.”
- He prays for the destruction of God’s enemies
- The Response of Jesus
- Luke 23:34 Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.” And they divided His garments and cast lots.
- Why Jesus didn’t pray for deliverance from, or destruction to, his enemies?
- Because He was doing God’s will
- Because He was “breaking the teeth” of Satan by dying a sinless sacrifice.
- The Response of Martyrs (one who bears witness of the truth, and suffers death in the cause of Christ)
- Revelations 6:9-10 When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the testimony which they held. 10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, “How long, O Lord, holy and true, until You judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?”
- Our Response
- Not according to our emotions
- A closed mouth is a closed destiny
- Matthew 6:14-15 For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you 15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
- Be Patient
- I Peter 2:20 For what credit is it if, when you are beaten for your faults, you take it patiently? But when you do good and suffer, if you take it patiently, this is commendable before God.
- Philippians 1:29 For to you it has been granted on behalf of Christ, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake,
- Romans 8:17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.
- I Corinthians 4:10-11 We are fools for Christ’s sake, but you are wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are distinguished, but we are dishonored! 11 To the present hour we both hunger and thirst, and we are poorly clothed, and beaten, and homeless.
- I Corinthians 13:7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
- Live Peaceably
- Romans 12:18-21 If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. 19 Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. 20 Therefore “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.” 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
- Don’t stand in the way of God
- Hebrews 10:30-31 For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” [a]says the Lord. And again, “The Lord will judge His people.” 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
- Acts 17:30-31 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, 31 because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead.”